Champagne-Chocolate Pots de Crème
I absolutely, one hundred and ten percent love chocolate desserts – which sounds rather cliché, since I’m a girl. Throw champagne into the mix and I’m happier than bird eating a french fry! On the other hand, my husband is not chocolate’s biggest fan, by any means. I fear this may have been my fault and I will tell you why.
Way back when we first were married, we went out to my family’s house in Wisconsin for Christmas. My grandma gave each of us grandkids a box of those Ferrero Rocher Chocolates. I don’t even like them that much, but for some reason that poor little box of strange crispy, chocolate spheres didn’t stand a chance. I was determined to devour every last little bite – probably because in my head I assumed if I could immediately get rid of them I wouldn’t be tempted to eat them once I got home. Who knows, my mind works in strange ways. The logic never adds up.
All that being said, I didn’t really want to eat the entire chocolate truffle, just that strange crunchy outer shell. However, I couldn’t possibly waste the inside of the truffle and I certainly didn’t want to be the only grand kid eating the entire box. So what did I do? I convinced Adam to eat all of the centers. Yep, I am officially the worst wife on the planet! He was so sick and to this day can’t stand the sight of a Ferrero Rocher Chocolate. But how lucky am I that my husband would suffer through a pending stomach ache to make me happy? That was the day I realized that I have the BEST husband on the planet! Love you, babe!
Since then, I’ve definitely eased up on forcing him to join me in my indulgence of rich, chocolaty desserts. Therefore, when I make something that he willingly enjoys, I know it’s really good! These Champagne Chocolate Pots de Crème are one of those such desserts!
My favorite part about this dessert (besides the addition of champagne), is just how easy it is to whip up a batch and still get that “wow effect” every cook longs for! It’s also makes the perfect party dessert. The last thing anyone wants is to be messing around with a fancy dessert while trying to tackle the rest of your party menu, right? Lucky for you, this needs to sit for 4 hours, or up to 12 hours in the fridge to really get good. As a result, the champagne flavors just pop with that extended time in the fridge! Anything “make ahead” is a dream come true so, what are you waiting for? This Champagne-Chocolate Pots de Crème is calling your name!
With love from my kitchen to yours,
- 6 oz. dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- ¾ cup champagne
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Whipped cream and/or cocoa nibs*, for garnish
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar and egg yolks until thick and a very light yellow color. Whisk in heavy cream, champagne and sea salt.
- Pour mixture into a medium sized sauce pan and place on medium low heat. Stir continually as mixture begins to thicken and reaches 170 degrees in temperature. Remove from heat immediately. Over cooking mixture will result in a grainy custard. Stir in vanilla.
- Divide chocolate custard evenly between desired serving cups (ramekins, teacups, shot glasses, etc). Will fill about 6, 5-oz cups. Gently tap cups on counter to remove air bubbles. Allow custards to cool to room temperature. Tightly cover custards then allow to set for 4 – 24 hours in fridge. Champagne flavor becomes more pronounced the longer it’s in the fridge.
- To serve, top with whipped cream and/or cocoa nibs.
- * I found cocoa nibs at my local Trader Joe's. Beware, they may not make it onto the dessert! So addicting!