I’ve found myself on a dark chocolate kick lately! I want to try it in everything and indulge in the rich deep flavors and complexity it adds to a dish, and of course to desserts! For some time now, I’ve been spying the Hershey’s “Special Dark” cocoa powder popping up in various recipes, like this one here. After my usual amount of procrastination, I finally decided to go grab a few containers from my local grocery store and toss them into a couple recipes I’ve been dreaming up.
Y’all, the results are delicious! These seriously decadent Dark Chocolate Scones with Salted Butterscotch Caramel are to die for! And they are just the beginning! Up next I’m hoping to rock out a killer dark chocolate cake that will be absolutely spooktacular for Halloween this year! But in the meantime, I’m living off of these Dark Chocolate Scones with Salted Butterscotch Caramel like there’s no tomorrow!
- 3 1/3 cups (490 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (40 grams) Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa powder
- 1/2 (100 grams) sugar
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons (250 grams) butter, small cubed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups heavy cream + more for brushing
- ½ cup Salted Butterscotch Caramels*
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips or chunks
- Sugar & Sugar in the Raw, for dusting tops of scones
- 3 oz. dark chocolate chips
- 3 oz. heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Place dry ingredients in a large bowl. Using a pastry cutter mix the butter into dry ingredients by hand until each piece is about the size of a tiny pea.
- Mix in heavy cream until ingredients just come together. Add in caramels and dark chocolate by hand.
- Turn out mixture onto a well-floured surface. Knead dough briefly to incorporate any extra flour or mix-ins.
- Carefully form dough into a 1 in thick 4” x 12” rectangle. Cut into 10-12 triangle-shaped wedges. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat. Brush scones with heavy cream, then sprinkle with sugar. Bake scones for 20-23 minutes, rotating pan 180 degrees, halfway through baking. Allow to cool completely.
- While scones are cooling, heat heavy cream in a small sauce pan until just simmering. Pour over dark chocolate chips and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Stir chocolate ganache until smooth. Drizzle cooled scones with ganache. Let ganache set, then serve.
- Keep all ingredients very cold! I like to freeze the butter, mix-ins (dark chocolate and caramels), flour mixture and bowl before I mix everything together. This helps to make sure everything stays cold. Work quickly to mix together the scones and get into the oven so that they don’t have too much time to warm up.
- *You can purchase the Salted Butterscotch Caramels from Trader Joe's. Make sure to freeze them before adding to scone mixture. This way they don't melt as fast while baking
With love from my kitchen to yours,