Eat the Seasons | July
We’ve had some warm weather out there lately, but luckily this summer heat has brought us an eruption of fresh fruits and vegetables flowing out from every garden and farm across this beautiful planet.
I dread summer’s approach every year, because I cannot stand to be hot and dare I say drenched in sweat. However, my love of a great summer harvest forces me to embrace this heat, head out to the sun-drenched farmers’ markets and load up on fresh snap peas, corn, cucumbers, melons, peppers, tomatoes, summer squash and so much more.
Let’s be honest, summer doesn’t last very long, so you’ve got to indulge while you can. Pretty soon we will be picking out the perfect pumpkin to carve and baking up a bazillion apple pies. Not that I’m complaining. Fall is, after all, one of my favorite times of the year.
So here’s to you Summer Heat, for providing us with so many healthy, vitamin-packed options to cook with. I may not like what you do to my hair (that frizz comes out in full force) but I do like what you bring to the table. And with that, I thank you! Now let’s cook!
1. Apricot Dijon Roasted Chicken | by Heather Christo
2. Apricot Crostini with Goat Cheese, Prosciutto | by Art de Fete
3. Apricot, Walnut, and Lavender Cake | by Apt. 2B Baking Co.
4. Dark Chocolate and Apricot Tarts | by Figs & Pigs
5. Vegan Corn Chowder | by The Roasted Root
6. Chipotle Sweet Potato Noodle Salad with Roasted Corn | by Pinch of Yum
7. Cherry, Grilled Corn and Quinoa Salad with Arugula and Blue Cheese | by Floating Kitchen
8. Handmade Corn Tortillas | by Yes, More Please
7. Spiralized Sushi Bowl with Salmon Sashimi and Ginger Miso Dressing | by Inspiralized
8. Lemony Cucumber Carpaccio with Creme Fraiche & Trout Roe | Sweet Paul Magazine
9. Chilled Soba in Cucumber Cups | by the Kitchn
10. Farro and Cucumber Salad | by Bon Appetit
11. Citrus Shrimp Ceviche with Spiralized Cucumbers | by Inspiralized
12. Cucumber Margarita | by A Beautiful Mess
13. Chinese Stuffed Eggplant | by The Woks of Life
14. Thai Basil Eggplant (Vegan, Gluten-Free) | by Vegetarian Gastronomy
15. Eggplant Meatballs with Za’atar and Kale Pesto | by The First Mess
16. Roasted Eggplant Banh Mi | by Chocolate for Basil
17. Passion Fruit and Mint Panna Cotta | by Chew Town
18. Passion Fruit Summer Drink | by Green Kitchen Stories
19. White Chocolate + Passion Fruit Cheesecake | by Decor 8
20. Tom Colicchio’s Passion Fruit Ceviche | by Saveur
21. Shaved Raw Summer Squash Salad | by Wanderlust
22. Tarragon Lemon Summer Squash Soup | by Food52
23. Summer Squash Couscous with Sultanas, Pistachios and Mint | by Food52
24. Cherry Tomato, Leek, and Spinach Quiche | by The Food Charlatan
25. Heirloom Tomato Frico Cups | by Foodie Crush
26. Baked Polenta & Tomato Salad | by A Beautiful Mess
27. Heirloom Tomato, Beet and Burrata Salad with Basil Oil | by Feasting at Home
To find out what’s fresh in your neck of the woods, check out Sustainable Table. I’m obsessed with their site and it has loads of info on each produce item, as well.