Eat the Seasons | March
March is sort of our entry into spring, here in California, and the weather has been AMAZING! Well, apart from these last few days of heavy rain and a mild chill to the air. Other than that the trees are in bloom, the air smells more fresh, and the sun is a bit warmer. It makes my heart happy!
I’m also excited to see all of the fresh new produce trickling into the markets. The other day while walking through our Sunnyvale Farmer’s market, I saw just about every citrus imaginable pilled high in large wooden bins. Of course I’m losing my mind over blood orange season right now! I’m working on tweaking a yummy chocolate blood orange tart that I hope to debut in a week or so! It’s pretty fantastic!
I’m also loving the Broccoflower – an heirloom cauliflower varietal that comes in shades of green, yellow, orange and purple. You can easily switch them out for regular cauliflower in most recipes, plus they are packed full of vitamins and nutrients. My local Trader Joes has been keeping them stocked as of lately, so I may grab a few and see what I can come up with once I get back from Vegas.
Oh my goodness, VEGAS!!! I’m so excited for this trip! It’s been 10 years since I’ve stepped foot in this crazy town and I’m prepared to have an incredible time! I will be sharing a lot of our weekend via Facebook and Instagram so stay tuned!
With all of this talk of “eating the seasons” and being more health-minded, I’m sorely reminded that I have not been doing a great job at that myself. Lately, I find it hard to cook really healthy meals. Take-out, eating out and pizzas have become our go-to as of late. With this lifestyle, my upcoming Vegas outfits are starting to look more like, “what was she thinking when she went shopping?” instead of “heck yeah, she’s killing it in that short, uber skinny dress!”
Panic is slowly setting in people… but I’m not going to sweat it too much! I’m there to enjoy every moment and celebrate a very special someone’s birthday! You know who you are!
One thing is for sure! Eating healthy needs to be fun and delicious! I hope these recipes inspire you to head straight to the farmer’s market and cook up some wholesome meals the month of March!
1. Spinach and Artichoke Galette | by Half Baked Harvest
2. Pan Roasted Baby Artichokes with Pistachios, Lemon and Black Quinoa | by Summer Tomato
3. Artchoke Hummus | by Feed Me Phoebe
4. 5 Ingredient Lemon Chicken with Asparagus | by A Pinch of Yum
5. Spring Asparagus Salad | by Feasting at Home
6. Asparagus, Leek and Purple Carrot Quiche | by The Glossy Life
7. Asparagus – Spinach Pesto Pasta with Blackened Shrimp | by Gimme Some Oven
8. Burrata with Blood Orange | by Yotam Ottolenghi via Vogue
9. Blood Orange Sangria | by How Sweet It Is
10. Luscious Blood Orange Bars with Brown Butter Crust | by White on Rice Couple
11. Crockpot Italian Chicken and Broccoli Rabe Chili | by Half Baked Harvest
12. Broccoli Rabe, Cannellini Bean, and Ricotta Crostini | by Saveur
13. Garlic Sesame Broccoli Rabe with Panko Crusted Chicken | by My Name is Yeh
14. Roasted Cauliflower and Leek Pasta | by Chatelaine
15. Parmesan-Roasted Cauliflower | by Epicurious
16. Scallops with Cauliflower, Cherries, and Capers | by Popsugar
17. Black Cod with Quinoa and Kiwi Salsa | by Martha Stewart
18. Kiwi Avocado Salsa Over Rare Tuna Steaks | by The Healthy Foodie
19. Kiwi Coconut Popsicles | by Sugary & Buttery
20. Avocado Toasties with Kiwi Salsa and Bacon | by Bon Appetit
21. Cleansing Kiwi Chai Pudding with Coconut Milk | by Detoxdiy
22. English Pea Soup with Lemon Creme Fraiche | by Will Cook for Friends
23. Dilled Red Potatoes and Peas | by Foodie Crush
24. Creamy Farro with Pesto Asparagus and Peas | by Vanilla and Bean
25. Thai Pea Soup | by Running to the Kitchen
To find out what’s fresh in your neck of the woods, check out Sustainable Table. I’m obsessed with their site and it has loads of info on each produce item, as well.