Here’s to a Very Healthy Thanksgiving
If there’s one thing we know about Thanksgiving, it’s that eating healthy can be a challenge. You are probably guaranteed to be surrounded by heaping bowls of butter-ladened mashed potatoes; rich gravy; hearty, gluten-based stuffing packed full of delicious fixings; and then of course there’s pie… oh, the drool-worthy, sweet, yummy pie that we anxiously wait for all year! It’s all so crazy good, but very easy to over indulge in – leaving you feeling a little, well, weighed down the next day.
Now don’t get me wrong, I’m definitely going to partake in some amazing food this week. I get to hang out with my family up in Napa and we all love to cook! But if you’re like me, it’s nice to sneak a few healthier options into the Traditional Thanksgiving fare, especially since Christmas is just around the corner and then it’s game on for holiday cookies and baked goods! I’m pretty stoked!
Whether you are looking to add one or two recipes that are healthier or looking to whip up a full-fledged diet conscious soiree, here’s to a very healthy… and Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you have a great week with friends and family! Cheers!
1. Give me a whole tray of these and I will be completely happy all dinner! Spicy Tuna Avocado Cucumber Appetizers with Pickled Ginger | by Jeanettes Healthy Living
2. I love the twist to the usual smoked salmon blinis. Homemade Crispy Millet Pancakes | by Cook the Story
3. This dip looks delightfully dangerous! Forget the cracker, just give me a spoon! Spinach and Spaghetti Squash Dip | by Julia’s Album
4. Gluten free and vegan! Need I say anymore? Thanksgiving Stuffing Poppers with Cranberry Jalapeno Dipping Sauce | by Beard and Bonnet
Side Dishes & Salads
5. I’m a huge fan of mashed cauliflower! Mashed Cauliflower (Vegan & Paleo) | by Detoxinista
6. Imagine this on your Thanksgiving table. It’s simply stunning! Honey Maple Roasted Carrots | by The Cafe Sucre Farine
7. Green Bean Casserole is a stable at our Thanksgivings. Now you can have it a bit healthier. Does this mean I can eat more of it? Awesome! Green Bean Casserole With Crispy Shallots | by Ellie Krieger via the Food Network
8. What a unique twist on the usual bread stuffing. Quinoa Stuffing (Quinoa with Butternut Squash, Cranberries & Pistachios) | by Gimme Some Oven
9. Doesn’t this look simply divine? Forbidden Rice with Acorn Squash and Pecans | by A Spicy Perspective
10. I’m obsessed with Butternut Squash, so these mashed “potatoes” are right up my alley. Mashed Butternut Squash with Sage & Garlic | by Adventures In Cooking
11. How rustic and charming is this hearty Roasted Vegetable Galette | by Cook Your Dram
12. These turkey breasts are stuff with my favorite fall ingredients. I’m in heaven! Stuffed Turkey Breasts with Butternut Squash and Figs | by Skinny Taste
14. Want to break away from the usual Turkey, try this amazing Shellfish Cioppino | by Nourished Kitchen
15. For all of you who are on a gluten free diet, you can finally make gravy for your guests and eat it too. Gluten Free Gravy | by Saveur
16. Just sit back and savor this decadent dessert without feeling guilty! Creamy Caramel Pudding (low fat) | by Food and Wine
17. I can’t get over how adorable these little hand pies are! Gluten Free Apple Hand Pies with Chardonnay Caramel | by The Tomato Tart
18. For all of those following the very popular Paleo diet, this dessert is something you can really sink your teeth into Paleo Pumpkin Pie | by Ancestral Nutrition
19. Who thought butternut squash could take the form of a cake? Butternut Squash Cake with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting | by the Tomato Tart
20. I love all things mini and these are perfect for your Thanksgiving feast! Mini Vegan Pumpkin Pie | by Love & Lemons