Mashed Potatoes with Chives + Garlic
The countdown continues as we head into one of my favorite holidays! Thanksgiving for me has always meant spending time with all of my family, so I get so excited every year it comes around! My family is all around incredible! My heart is broken that I won’t be spending this holiday with my family up in Napa, now that we are back in Minnesota. I’m really missing my lovely cooking partner! She and I cook up a storm in the kitchen and drink yummy wine in the process! It’s wonderful! Sending all of you my love! I miss you guys!
We do get to be back here with my dad and brother and so many of both my mom and dad’s side of the family. Love them all!! And to top it off, I get to hang out with Adam’s awesome, hilarious and fantastic family. They are a ton of fun! It won’t be Napa, but it feels good to be home.
So, earlier this week we shared our favorite turkey recipe. Today we are ranting about the staple to every traditional Thanksgiving meal – mashed potatoes! It’s hard to have turkey and rich gravy without pairing buttery, garlic infused mashed potatoes, am I right?
Unlike the turkey, butter mashed potatoes with chives + garlic are the easier part of a Thanksgiving meal. There’s nothing too complicated about them (thank goodness) and if you prep most of the ingredients ahead of time, it’s a walk in the park!
Oh, can we talk about this weather right now in Minnesota? I know that’s so cliche to bring up the weather, but it’s going to be incredible weather for Thanksgiving, from what I’ve heard! This is a rare thing and I’m so thankful we are back here to experience it! It’s definitely making this move a bit more manageable. There’s nothing worse then moving from AMAZING weather, all of the time, to a blizzard looming in the very near future. But I’m secretly excited for the first snow fall! And if it can just happen to come on December 3rd for our Christmas photo shoot with the talented and wonderful friend behind Designer Photography, then I will be a very happy person!
With love from my kitchen to yours!
- 4 lbs Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature, cut into small cubes.
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chives, finely chopped (reserve 1 tbsp for garnish)
- Salt, to taste
- In a large pot of salted water, add potatoes. Bring to a boil on medium-high heat. Once boiling adjust heat to medium and allow to simmer for 20 - 30 minutes or until a fork easily pierces the potato.
- Drain potatoes and set aside. In the same pot used for the potatoes, add butter, heavy cream, garlic and chives. Warm on low until butter is melted and mixture is very warm. Remove from heat. Add potatoes back to pot and mix until potatoes are fluffy. Season with salt, to taste.
- Serve in a large bowl or set aside in a warm place (still in pot) until ready to serve.
- - Potatoes can be peeled and cut up to 1 day in advanced and stored in a large container filled with water.
- - Butter can be cubed, wrapped and stored in fridge until 1 hour before ready to use.
- - garlic and chives can be chopped and stored tightly wrapped in fridge until ready to use.
With love from my kitchen to yours,