Raspberry Mint Paloma Cocktail
Every year, when Cinco de Mayo rolls around, I suddenly find myself fighting off an uncontrollable desire to overdosing on guacamole, chips, and margaritas. Are you with me on this? I mean, come on, who doesn’t love a holiday that gives us an excuse to indulge in our favorite foods? So it’s safe to say I will be eating enough guacamole to feed a small country. At the same time, I think I may switch up my usual margarita with something a bit more refreshing, especially since things are slowing warming up around here. That means my go-to drinks need to be a bit colder and overflowing with a lot more citrus.
This Raspberry Mint Paloma has all that and more! Bright summery flavors to turn down the heat on a sun-soaked day. A touch of champagne bubbles that effortlessly round-out the lip-puckering grapefruit juice. And of course, what would Cinco de Mayo be without some really incredible tequila?
It just so happens that I recently discovered a brand new, small-batch distillery called Flying Dutchman Spirits, right here in the Minneapolis area and I’m so excited to share them with you. They’ve crafted a very smooth and well-rounded 100% Blue Agave that will blow your mind! It was such a joy creating our delicious Raspberry Mint Paloma with their 100% Blue Agave; which elevated this drink to perfection. In fact, we loved it so much, we made a second Paloma cocktail that we will be posting exclusively to our Instagram account in the next few days! Make sure to keep an eye out.
The guys at Flying Dutchman Spirits were a delight to meet and work with on this Cinco de Mayo cocktail project. Their story is definitely one of persistence and patience as they went down this not-so-easy path to creating their 100% Blue Agave. In fact, finding any written documentation on the traditional techniques for crafting agave-based spirits, such a tequila, was nearly impossible. By perfect luck, they were able to find a few old papers written in Spanish that gave light to some of the century-old techniques for producing this distinctive 100% Blue Agave spirit. But, it took quite some time to translate these manuals and an even longer road to carefully testing and putting to use their long history of brewing experience. In the end, their hard work produced incredible results and I highly encourage you to seek them out!
If you’re looking for a unique experience, their recently opened cocktail lounge is nestled in the heart of the distillery room, giving you a full open view to their state-of-the-art distiller and production line. Here you can try the 100% Blue Agave along with their Mediterrάneo Gin, Sailor’s Rantsoen Rum and Nas-Drov-Via Vodka.
The lounge menu also boasts a creative lineup of craft cocktails and various snacks and nibbles to satisfy your appetite. Come summer you can expect local food trucks to provide some mouthwatering meals as you sip on perhaps a refreshing Mediterranean Gin and tonic or their own version of the Paloma, a Strawberry Rhubarb Paloma. Come to think of it, would it not be amazing if a Petrossian caviar truck existed? Pairing caviar with a small glass of their Nas-Drov-Via Vodka, would be divine. I would never leave!
If you are looking to pick up a bottle for yourself, go to their retailer’s web page to find a nearby liquor store here in the Minnesota area. And with great anticipation, it won’t be long before the rest of the Midwest and eventually, the entire US will get to experience this dynamite distillery for themselves!
Stop by Flying Dutchman Spirits today, stock up on all four of their stunningly designed bottles and get to mixing up this ultra-refreshing Raspberry Mint Paloma in celebration of summer and of course Cince de Mayo. Cheers!
- Pink Himalayan salt
- 8 raspberries
- 1 oz. tablespoons mint simple syrup (see recipe below)
- 2 oz Flying Dutchman Spirits 100% Blue Agave, can substitute tequila
- 3 oz. fresh grapefruit juice, about half of 1 grapefruit
- 1 bottle champagne to top off
- Large ice cubes - 2” in size if possible
- Raspberries and mint for garnish
- Salt the rim of a glass by rubbing a slice of grapefruit along the rim and dipping into pink himalayan salt. Set glass aside. In a different glass or a shaker, add raspberries, mint simple syrup, and tequila. Using a muddler, gently push the raspberries down until they release their juices and are smashed. Add in the grapefruit juice and stir. Strain mixture into salt-rimmed glass. Add a few ice cubes and raspberries to glass. Top off with champagne. Give the drink a gentle stir. Taste and add more mint simple syrup, if desired. Enjoy!
- Mint Simple Syrup: Add 1 cup of water and 1 cup sugar to a pot. Bring to a simmer and cook until all sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and add 2 sprigs of mint, stems removed. Let cool completely and strain mint leaves from simple syrup. Simple syrup can be made up to 1 week in advance.
Located at 6801 Flying Cloud Drive Eden Prairie, Minnesota
For any questions, call them at 952.406.8286
Cocktail Lounge hours are Thursdays 5pm – 9pm, Friday 5pm – 9pm, and Saturday 2pm -9pm
With love from my kitchen to yours,