Roasted Beet, Avocado and Quinoa Salad with a Lemon Vinaigrette
If you saw my last post, we made a fantastic amount of Limoncello, which I’m excited to sip on with my family back in Minnesota, very soon. Now with Limoncello you use a lot of lemon peels, but the remaining lemon goodness gets left behind, only to waste away. It breaks my heart! Therefore, I was determined to create a few dishes that utilize this great lemon juice and make sure that no lemon was left behind.
My first dish is one of the best uses of lemon juice – salad dressing. Yes, I know it sounds boring, but we paired this mouthwatering dressing with a hearty and very healthy salad. It takes a little extra time to roast the beets and cook the quinoa, but it’s well worth the effort. And, if you’ve yet to discover quinoa, I would like to officially introduce you!
This very small grain is nothing short of a superfood, packed with high amounts of protein. In fact, it’s actually considered a complete protein (containing all nine essential amino acids.) So, for all of those vegetarians out there, this little grain is for you! Along with protein, you will find iron, magnesium, potassium, calcium, vitamin E and fiber. I could go on about the benefit of quinoa, but I will let you do your research. All I can say is that you need this guy in your life and this salad is just one great way to prepare it.
A little note about this salads is that it’s perfect for any dinner party. Not only does this salads look spectacular and have great color, you can prepare most of the ingredients a day beforehand and keep them covered in the refrigerator. Then, right before serving, slice up the avocados, toss everything together in a beautiful bowl and watch your friends and family gasp in awe of your creation. It’s a beautiful thing!
- 2 tbsp grain mustard
- 2 tbsp dijon
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 cup red quinoa, or white quinoa, if red is not available
- 2 beets, peeled
- 2 avocados, cut in half, then sliced
- 1/4 vidalia onion, sliced thin
- 2 cups arugula
- 2oz goat cheese
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- In a bowl, whisk together the grain mustard, dijon, honey and minced garlic. Whisk in the lemon juice and white wine vinegar. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Place in the refrigerator until the salad is finished.
- Rub the peeled beets with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and place on a baking sheet of saute pan. Cover with foil and place in the oven. Roast for 1 hour or until soft. Once beets have finished roasting, chill to room temp. Cut beets in half, then slice thin into half moon shapes.
- Place 1 cup quinoa in a sauce pan and fill with 1 1/2 cup water. Turn heat to high and bring quinoa to a boil. Once the water is boiling, turn heat down to low and cover. Cook for 19 minutes. After 19 minutes, turn heat off and allow quinoa to steam for 10 minutes. Chill quinoa to room temp.
- Toss together all salad ingredients with salt and pepper, to taste. Place in a large bowl and serve with the Lemon Vinaigrette.