“Life should not only be lived, it should be celebrated.”
Happy National Margarita Day!!!! Talk about the perfect time of year to celebrate this holiday. Winter feels like it’s been dragging on for the longest time, so mixing up this Spicy Grapefruit Margarita is an excellent way to pretend you’re relaxing on a beach somewhere in a much warmer climate. I know those of us in these colder regions definitely need a few of those wanderlust moments right now, am I right? Speaking of travel, my husband is currently in London for work and I’m so jealous! Though it’s not much warmer than Minnesota, the idea of escaping for just a little bit, especially to a dreamy place like London sounds magical!
He’s really missing out though, haha! These Spicy Grapefruit Margarita’s are so, so good! Since he didn’t take me with him to London, I’m on the fence about treating him to one when he gets back… I’m just going to keep them all for myself. Who am I kidding, the guy has been busting his butt at his brand new job! He definitely deserves a few of these spicy, delicious cocktails when he gets home.
I’ve been getting into tequila a lot lately. You may have seen one of my last posts where we combined sparkling rose with tequila and it was AMAZING! I used to really dislike the taste of tequila (cheap tequila shot in college are never a good idea), but ever since a friend of mine invited us to a tequila tasting back in Charleston last fall, I’ve been revisiting the idea of it again. Did you know that 100% agave tequila actually has a few health benefits? I’m not kidding, you can read about it here. That has me definitely looking for more flavorful ways to incorporate tequila into our mixed cocktails here at home.
I hope you get a chance to mix yourself up one of these beauties and toast to National Margarita Day! Just know that I will be doing that same while daydreaming of warmer climates, sandy beaches, and all of the sun this fair-skinned girl can handle (which is basically none at all, haha!) Cheers!
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1.5 oz. tequila
- 1 oz Cointreau
- 3 oz fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 oz. fresh lime juice
- 2 slices jalapenos + extra for garnish
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- Grapefruit slice for garnish
- Jalapeno slices for garnish
- In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, kosher salt, and sugar. Lightly coat rim of glass with lime juice. Dip rim of glass into Sweet & Spicy Salt Rim mixture. Set glass aside.
- In a cocktail shaker add tequila, Cointreau, grapefruit and lime juices, jalapeno slices, and agave nectar. Let sit for a few moments to allow the jalapeno to infuse into the mixture. Add ice to cocktail shaker and give it a few good shakes to make sure everything is mixed together. Serve over ice with grapefruit and jalapeno slices. Cheers!
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a picture #designsofanykind on Instagram! We’d love to see what you come up with. Cheers, friends!
With love from my kitchen to yours,