Yogurt Marinated Grilled Chicken with a Watermelon, Cucumber, Feta + Jalapeno Salad
I’m a grilling fanatic! Grilling just embodies summer and relaxing on the deck with some yummy white wine. Lately, I’ve been a bit nostalgic for Minnesota. It’s been hitting me hard! I day dream about the warm summer air and the view from my family’s backyard. The lily pad-filled pond, the tall trees and lush gardens. It’s always been my little slice of paradise. A place to feel relaxed and safe. There’s nothing like it in this world for me!
I miss the nights we would all gather in the backyard to grill, which in the summer months was usually nightly. My dad would open up a bottle of wine and pour us all a steep glass. I would be rushing back and forth from the kitchen to the grill, focused on getting dinner out in a timely fashion (of course, glass of wine in hand). Adam would be stationed on the patio, chatting with my dad or brother. Those moments were honestly the best. They represent the times I felt the most happy and full-filled. Summer usually makes me long for those times.
The next time I manage to make it back home, I have a feeling this Yogurt Marinated Grilled Chicken, with the Watermelon, Cucumber, Feta + Jalapeno Salad you might remember from a few weeks back, will definitely be making an appearance! My family will loose their minds over it! The yogurt keeps the chicken incredibly moist, even if you over cook it. And that watermelon salad is a match made in heaven.
If you find yourself in need of a new recipe to try this summer, then I urge you to give this one a go. It’s incredibly easy and the flavors are transcending… if that’s even a thing! Cheers!
- 3 split fryer chickens (whole chickens cut in half)
- 2 cups whole-milk yogurt
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup lightly packed cilantro, stems discarded, finely chopped
- 1 2” piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
- Recipe for Watermelon, Cucumber, Feta + Jalapeno Salad
- Cutting board
- Large bowl or large plastic ziplock bag
- Measuring cups & spoons
- Chef knife
- Plastic wrap
- Oil & heat-resistant brush, for grill
- Grill or grill pan
- In a very large glass bowl or large resealable plastic bag, mix the yogurt, lemon juice, chopped cilantro, minced ginger, minced garlic, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Add the chicken and coat with yogurt mixture. Seal bag or cover bowl with saran wrap. Refrigerate for 3 hour to overnight. Bring to room temperature before cooking.
- Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high; clean and lightly oil hot grill. Remove chicken from yogurt mixture and lightly shake off any excess. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Place chicken skin-side down on a grill. Allow to cook for 25 minutes, turning halfway through. Reduce the heat to low and continue to cook for another 15 minutes, turning halfway through again. Skin should be evenly charred and a meat thermometer should read 160 degree. Remove from heat and allow chicken to rest 10 minutes before carving.
- Serve with the Watermelon, Cucumber, Feta + Jalapeno Salad
- Wine pairing: Sauvignon Blanc with strong citrus notes. California Chardonnays. French Vouvray and Savennières Chenin Blancs, as well as Gewürztraminer or Pinot Gris.